How to Get a Permit to Work in the United States of America (U.S)

People from all around the world aspire to work in the United States. There are several work visas available in the United States, and candidates must identify which ones they are eligible for, as well as how to apply and prepare papers appropriately.

As a direct result of their immigration status, permanent residents, asylees, refugees, and some nonimmigrants have job permission. 


Migrants who do not fit into one of these categories, such as some family members of employment-based nonimmigrants, may need to apply to USCIS for an EAD.

Depending on the employee’s immigration status or other grounds for work permission, the documents he or she chooses to present to demonstrate employment authorization vary.

Work Visa in the United States Is Right For You

Individuals seeking temporary employment in the United States have a variety of possibilities depending on the type of job they are looking for. There are a variety of work visa alternatives available in the United States, including:

  • E2 and E1 visa permits: for investors and merchants
  • Permit for H-1B visas: for specialized occupations
  • L-1 visa: for foreign workers and owners desiring to relocate to a new or existing U.S. firm
  • EB-1 Green Card: Outstanding Researcher or Professor immigrant visa classification • H-2B visa permit: for non-agricultural employees
  • Exceptional Ability Green Card Permit (EB-2):
  • EB-3 Green Card Permit: Professionals, Skilled Workers, and Others
  • EB-4 Green Card Permit: Special Immigrants, such as Religious Workers

H1-B Visa Permit for Temporary Skilled Workers

The H1-B visa is intended for highly educated foreign employees who operate in specialized fields. 

J-1 Visa Permit Holiday Work Visa Exchange Visitor Visa

This business visitor visa is a nonimmigrant visa that may be obtained by persons who have been accepted to engage in work and study-based exchange visitor programs, as well as by corporate sponsors. 

Visitors can use this permit to get a taste of living in the United States before returning to their native nations.

H2-A Visas for Seasonal Agricultural Workers

Foreign agricultural workers who want to work in the United States on a seasonal or temporary basis can apply for H2-A visas if there is a labor shortage in the United States.

H-2B Visa is a temporary non-agricultural work visa.

The H-2B Visa allows non-agricultural foreign employees to work in the United States if there aren’t enough natural-born residents to fill the post. Sponsored employment at truck drivers, ski resorts, hotels, beach resorts, and amusement parks are some examples of these vocations.

Nonimmigrant NAFTA Professional Visa (TN)

The North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) has made it easier for Canadians and Mexicans to join US markets by allowing them to apply for U.S. visas on a “fast track” basis through the TN visa. A TN visa is only available to nationals; permanent residents and landed immigrants are not eligible. 

There are a few jobs that qualify for the TN visa, but if your job offer isn’t one of them, give us a call; we might be able to assist!

Requirements for a US Work Permit

  • Passport(s) valid for at least 60 days beyond the immigrant visa’s expiration date.
  • Form DS-260, Application for Immigrant Visa and Alien Registration.
  • Two (2) 22-inch photos.
  • Documents pertaining to the applicant’s civil status.
  • Assistance with finances. 
  • Forms of Medical Examination Completing

Requirements for an Embassy or Consulate

You will be needed to attend an interview at your local embassy or consulate. A valid passport, as well as any additional papers not previously given, should be brought to the interview by each candidate.

Processing Time for a Work Permit in the United States

The length of time it takes to get a work permit in the United States varies based on the sort of visa you’re applying for and where it’s handled.


For example, if you apply for an H-1B visa through the California office, it may take 8 to 10.5 months to process. It would take 6.5 to 8.5 months if you filed for the same visa through the Vermont service center.

To obtain a better idea of how long your US work permit application will take, we recommend seeing an immigration specialist.

How to Convert a Work Visa into a Green Card

Having a work visa in the United States might lead to permanent residency in Canada in a variety of ways. You can start by obtaining an Employment-Based Green Card, which will provide you with permanent residency in the US.

There are various options for obtaining permanent residency if you do not have an employment-based green card and just have a U.S. work visa.

1. Get a PR sponsor from your employer.

If you have been hired in the United States on a work visa and your employer respects your job, they may be willing to sponsor you for permanent residency. 

The conversion to a green card would be greatly accelerated and simplified as a result of this.


2. Put money into an EB-5 visa.

There are a number of options to invest in the United States in return for an EB-5 visa. An EB-5 visa is a work-based green card that allows a person to live permanently in the United States.

3. Sponsorship by a family

Do you have a family member who is a citizen or permanent resident of the United States? They can help you become a permanent resident of the United States by sponsoring you.

Yes. Your work permit may be refused for one of three reasons. The first is if you made a mistake on the work permit application form (I-765), forgot to sign it, or left out a needed part. 

The second, less typical cause for denial is if your green card application was handled so rapidly that you already had an authorized green card when your work permit application was completed. This is an excellent (though uncommon) problem to have because you don’t need a separate work permit to lawfully work after you have a green card. 

The last reason is that you were not judged qualified at the time and do not meet the requirements for this permission.

Don’t Miss Out TODAY!

SEE ALSO:  Multiple Recruitment for Carpenters in USA

Subscribe For Latest Scholarships, Jobs, Visa and Travel Update

Be the First to Get Updates and Take Action!

Invalid email address
We promise not to spam you. You can unsubscribe at any time.

You Want Latest Scholarships, Jobs, Visa and Travel Updates?